At Green Apple Active we like to keep things light & enjoy a good laugh. While there are many obvious benefits to laughter (IE: general happiness) there are also other less known boons to chuckling it up. According to the article Laughter is the Best Medicine: The Health Benefits of Humor written by Melinda Smith, M.A., and Jeanne Segal, Ph.D, March 2013.
Laughter is good for your health
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
- Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems."
The link between laughter and mental health
- Laughter dissolves distressing emotions. You can’t feel anxious, angry, or sad when you’re laughing.
- Laughter helps you relax and recharge. It reduces stress and increases energy, enabling you to stay focused and accomplish more.
- Humor shifts perspective, allowing you to see situations in a more realistic, less threatening light. A humorous perspective creates psychological distance, which can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed."
At Green Apple Active we thought we would wish everyone a healthy happy day by sharing some of the things that make us smile!
Some funnies from Yogadawg
“Without love, without humor, yoga is just a lot of hard work”
- Steve Ross