Grab some arugula, warmed some black beans, feta and quick-pickled radishes. Toss all of that in jalapeño-lime dressing and take a bite...
Warm up a corn tortilla and stuff it full of salad.
The resulting tacos are fresh and light, yet filling. This is a 30-minute meal (pickled radishes excluded).
Author: Cookie and Kate
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño (about 1 medium jalapeño), membranes and seeds removed
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey (or agave nectar)
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 cans black black beans, rinsed and drained (or 4 cups cooked black beans)
- 1 small yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ⅓ cup water
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 to 6 cups baby arugula
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced into thin strips
- ⅔ cup crumbled feta
- Quick-pickled radishes or chopped fresh radishes
- Optional garnishes: freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes and/or hot sauce like Cholula
- To make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine all of the listed dressing ingredients. Whisk until emulsified.
- To prepare the black beans: Warm the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and a sprinkle of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened and are turning translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the cumin and cook for about 30 seconds while stirring. Pour in the beans and ⅓ cup water. Stir, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove the lid and use the back of a fork to mash up about at least half of the beans. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and cover until you're ready to serve.
- To warm the tortillas: Heat a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat and warm each tortilla individually, flipping occasionally. Alternatively, you can warm them directly over a low flame on a gas range.
- Put it all together: Just before serving, toss the arugula with enough dressing to lightly coat the leaves (you will probably have leftover dressing). Spread black beans down the middle of each tortilla. Top with sliced avocado, pickled radishes, a small handful of dressed arugula and a sprinkle of crumbled feta. Finish with a couple dashes of freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes and/or hot sauce.